Did you know?
- The first slaves sold in America was in Virginia, 1619.
- The Constitution recognized slave property and each state was left to decide to be either a slave or free state.
- In taking the census five slaves were equal to 3 white men.
- The invention of the cotton gin caused more slaves to be brought from Africa.
- George Washington’s will freed some slaves while the rest would be freed upon the death of Mrs. Washington.
- Southern states had laws preventing abolition papers being sent in the mail.
- Under Mexican rule Texas was a free territory, but became a slave state when admitted into the Union.
- The Compromise of 1850 prevented the sale or purchase of slaves in Washington, but those already owned could be kept.
- The Supreme Court decided in favor of slavery.
- Southern preachers quoted the Bible claiming that slavery was approved by God.
- Lincoln said, “If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it.”
Problems of Native Americans & African Slaves
The two groups of people that suffered greatly from the hands of America’s European settlers were the Native Americans and African Slaves. Native Americans had their land taken from them and African Slaves were brought to America to work the land.